Easy Beef-Stuffed Shells
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.
- 20 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1 large egg
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce, divided
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions to al dente; drain and rinse in cold water. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, 1-1/2 cups Italian cheese blend, Parmesan cheese, pesto, egg and half of the beef mixture.
- Spread 3/4 cup spaghetti sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Spoon cheese mixture into pasta shells; place in baking dish. Combine remaining beef mixture and spaghetti sauce; pour over shells. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake until cheese is melted, 5-10 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts2 stuffed shells: 405 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 730mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Jun 2, 2020
What is Italian cheese blend? I am making this dish right now and will have to do the best I can. I have no way of going to the store at this time since we have curfews in place and stores are closed.
May 11, 2020
I am new to cooking so this took me awhile to me but it was one of the best recipes I've tried so far.
Apr 10, 2020
thank you. My daughter wanted stuffed shells so together me and her make this recipe. It was a great experience and the stuffed shells were awesome.
Mar 11, 2020
Best Stuffed shell recipe I have! My son asked for shells with meat so I searched the web and came up with this one. Everyone said it was a keeper. I did not make ahead or chill it and it came out perfect.
Mar 3, 2020
Cut this recipe in half for my wife and I. We really like them. I did not bother to make them the day before, and they came out fine. I also waited to sprinkle the cheese on top until after I removed the cover during the final minutes of baking.
Dec 2, 2019
I have made this time and time again. It is the BEST and easiest stuffed shells recipe I have found. My family gets so excited when they find out I am making it. I never make any changes to the recipe other than at times I don't make it ahead the day before and it still turns out delicious! Thank you so much for submitting this recipe Blaire!
Jun 27, 2018
Very good! Love the fact that you can make ahead and bake when you need it! The pesto added a nice flavor.
Jul 18, 2015
Excellent dish!! I don't usually change anything when I try a new recipe, but this time I realized last minute that I was all out of Parmesan cheese. I substituted Poor Man's Parmesan, a recipe I found on the internet, and it turned out great! I just thought I would share that with everyone. Next time though, I will use Parmesan cheese, unless someone empties mine again :)
Oct 15, 2014
Delicious! The pesto is really good in the filling. I used lower fat ricotta and it worked fine. This recipe makes a lot, but it reheats well if you have leftovers.
Mar 27, 2014
Good old comfort food. I made 20 and still had a bit to spare.