Easy Apple Danish
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and lemon zest; cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the yeast mixture, milk and eggs until blended.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead about 20 times (dough will be slightly sticky). Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- For filling, combine the apples, walnuts, sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into an 18x15-in. rectangle; brush with butter. Sprinkle filling to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Starting with a short side, fold a third of the dough over filling; repeat with other side, making a 15x6-in. rectangle. Pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 15 slices. Twist each slice a few times; pinch ends together, forming a small circle. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 216 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 158mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 14, 2017
I chose this recipe because based on the pictures and ingredients, it seemed to be everything I was looking for. However I was deeply disappointed.Although I thought the pastry dough recipe was great, the actual filling had no taste whatsoever and the glaze had an overwhelming confectioners sugar taste.Now I have a ton of danishes that I'll probably just throw out.
Nov 10, 2013
This is a great recipe!
Jun 25, 2010
No comment left