East Coast Tomato Soup
I put the elements of two recipes together to come up with this tasty seafood soup. I'm not always able to get fresh shellfish on short notice, so I keep a supply of canned fish and shellfish on hand.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes4-5 servings (about 1 quart)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground savory
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) lump crabmeat, rinsed and drained
- Sour cream and minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a 2-qt. saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in butter until onion is tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until bubbly. Gradually add the cream, tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, savory and hot pepper sauce; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add crab; heat through. Garnish servings with sour cream and parsley if desired.
Jan 21, 2020
Love this soup. I’ve had the recipe for a long time and everyone I serve it to asks for the recipe. Great for a cold winter night. I did add a little extra crabmeat, but that is not necessary. I also use marjoram instead of savory.