Crackling homemade bread makes an average day extraordinary. Enjoy this beautiful crusty bread recipe as is, or stir in a few favorites like cheese, garlic, herbs and dried fruits. —Catherine Ward, Taste of Home Prep Kitchen Manager
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 3 cups (375 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water (70° to 75°)
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, yeast and salt. Stir in water to form a soft, shaggy dough. Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a cool place until doubled, 7-8 hours.Preheat oven to 450°; place a Dutch oven with lid onto center rack and let heat for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile, turn dough onto a generously floured surface. Using a metal scraper or spatula, gently shape into a round loaf. Place on top of a piece of parchment paper; let stand, uncovered, while pan heats up.
- Using a sharp knife, make a slash (1/4 in. deep) across top of loaf. Gently lower bread and parchment into Dutch oven. Bake for 30 minutes, covered; uncover and bake until deep golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped, 15-20 minutes. Remove loaf to a wire rack to cool.