Dutch Apple Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in apples and walnuts. Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- For topping, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 243 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 252mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 1, 2020
Excellent and delicious, so easy to make! My wife and I had it with our morning coffee for a couple of days. Definitely will be a regular for us.
May 24, 2020
I added half sugar in the recipe and it is really delicious.
Jun 6, 2019
Love this recipe. So simple and so delicious. I did put in a half of cup of sugar and then in the topping less sugar then it called for. Very good. Can I freeze it ?
Jan 2, 2019
I made this for Christmas for my husband and to give out as a treat. It was a tremendous hit! Inmad some other breads/loafs too, but this one by far was the star! Everyone raved about this bread. I will be making this for my husband all the time now. I made it totally per the recipe and I will not change a thing. I might make them as a cupcake to try...
Jan 18, 2018
very good. This is a keeper.
Dec 16, 2015
Great recipe!! I made it to specs --no changes. We all love it and I'm making double batches to give as Christmas Gifts--Delicious!!!
Oct 17, 2015
Delicious! I made them into muffins, and they turned out perfect! Very moist!
Dec 31, 2014
This is very good. Made it last month and I am making it again today only I'm doubling it this time. I didn't change a thing. Everyone in my family loves it.
Dec 5, 2014
This is a wonderful moist apple bread. My family devoured it. I left out the nuts due to allergies. I plan on doubling the recipe and baking in mini loaf pans for Christmas gifts this year. Thank you for a good easy recipe.
Oct 19, 2014