Double-Duty Chicken & Feta Spinach Salad
In my all-purpose salad, you can change up the pasta, nuts and cheese. If you have tomatoes, leftover turkey or a fresh lemon to squeeze, go for it. —Donna Bardocz, Howell, Michigan
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked orzo pasta (about 8 ounces)
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 6 cups), finely chopped
- 4 reserved chicken thighs from Double-Duty Chicken with Olives & Artichokes, shredded, or 1-1/2 cups any shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Cook orzo according to package directions for al dente. Drain orzo; rinse with cold water and drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, orzo, chicken, cheese, almonds and onion. In a small bowl, whisk remaining ingredients until blended; add to salad and toss gently to combine.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 531 calories, 26g fat (6g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 627mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein.
Aug 5, 2020
Very tasty! Made just as described, but warmed up the leftover shredded chicken from the other recipe a bit so it was close to same temp as the orzo. Would definitely make again.