Double-Crusted Sausage Egg Casserole
This breakfast has become our Christmas tradition. I love being able to assemble and refrigerate the casserole the night before. Then I just pop it into the oven to bake while we open gifts in the morning. —Lynne German, Woodland Hills, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min.
- 2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 7 large eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in Monterey Jack cheese.
- Unroll 1 tube of crescent dough into a long rectangle; press perforations to seal. Press onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with sausage mixture.
- Separate 1 egg; reserve egg white for brushing top. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk, milk, salt, pepper and remaining eggs until blended; pour over sausage mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll remaining crescent dough and roll into a 13x9-in. rectangle; cut crosswise into 13 strips. Twist each strip and place over filling; brush with reserved egg white. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.