Decadent Caramel Pecan Pie
Of all my pecan pie recipes, this is the most decadent. It oozes goodness. Even my two young sons, both hockey players, eat it slowly to enjoy every bite.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups ground pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine milk and egg yolks; stir into crumb mixture until dough forms a ball. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate; flute edges. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, butter and syrup; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg whites and vanilla. Gradually add hot syrup mixture. Stir in pecans. Pour into pastry shell.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake 35-40 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.