Date Bar Dessert
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-3/4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Whipped topping
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- In a large saucepan, combine the dates, sugar and water. Cook for 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Stir in walnuts. Spread over crust.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares; top with whipped topping.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 323 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 26, 2020
This was fantastic! I only had to make a few changes due to lack of specific ingredients. I didn't have the full amount of dates so I added dried cherries. I sissy substituted pecans for walnuts. The crust is so good and it mixes well with the gooey topping. Rich and full of flavor.
Apr 13, 2016
Fantastic. Wow I really love this recipe. The whole family loves this recipe. Taste wonderful with whipped cream and fresh berries. I will make it often and share with everyone. If you think you don't like dates.....think again. Just a note, I made this with whole wheat flour and brown sugar splenda.
Jul 3, 2014
I used a gluten free biscuit mix for the flour SUPER