Dar’s Coconut Cream Pie
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted, divided
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°.
- Line crust with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks, coconut milk, cream, sugar, cornstarch and salt until blended. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 2 minutes longer, whisking vigorously. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and 1 cup coconut. Immediately transfer to crust.
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of filling. Refrigerate 2 hours or until cold.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Spread over pie. Sprinkle with remaining coconut.
Editor's NoteLet pie weights cool before storing. Beans and rice may be reused for pie weights, but not for cooking.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 641 calories, 47g fat (33g saturated fat), 182mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Apr 28, 2020
What a yummy pie but I had to do some improvising for the cream on top. Finding heavy whipping cream in Toronto was imposssible! I searched so many Wal Marts and grocery stores but nobody had it. So to my fellow Canadians who make this pie and find heavy whipping cream please share with me! I eventually settled on a marshmallow topping which stilled killed!
Feb 11, 2020
The best coconut cream pie EVER! This pie is my go to dessert for potlucks, and I always take home an empty pie pan.
Nov 30, 2019
Yummo! Delicious pie!!
Feb 28, 2019
Oh so delicious!! Have made twice in two weeks. High raves each time.
Feb 17, 2019
If I could give this 10 stars I would. This is the absolute best coconut cream pie. Coconut milk doesn't come in 2 cup size so I use the whole can and add enough half and half to bring it up to 2 cups. Works every time. Sorry but I will never try another coconut cream pie recipe. This is the only one I will ever make.
Jan 25, 2019
This pie turns out beautifully. The toasted coconut makes for a gorgeous presentation. The filling is delicious. I used two teaspoons of penzey’s vanilla. Which might be too much if you are using a high quality vanilla:
May 17, 2018
Made this yesterday and it was a hit! People keep asking for more!
Dec 17, 2017
This was awesome. My husband does not care for coconut BUT loves this.
Dec 14, 2017
Delicious! I'm not a baker so I didn't make the pastry; I substituted a store bought crust. The coconut milk adds so much flavor to this pie!
Aug 15, 2017