Curry Shrimp and Rice
My family and I absolutely love curry shrimp and rice. I created this version so I I can make it in a hurry. Except for the butter and shrimp, all the ingredients are right in my pantry. To add a little heat, we like to stir in a tablespoon of fresh ground chili paste. —Angela Spengler, Niceville, Florida
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced potatoes, drained
- 2 cans (7 ounces each) white or shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 can (8 ounces) bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 to 3 teaspoons Thai red chili paste, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces peeled and deveined cooked shrimp (61-70 per pound)
- 2 packages (8.8 ounces each) ready-to-serve long grain rice
- Optional: Lime wedges and fresh basil
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add broth, potatoes, corn, coconut milk, bamboo shoots, curry powder, chili paste if desired, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until flavors have blended, 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add shrimp; heat through. Prepare rice according to package directions; serve with curry. Sprinkle with additional curry powder. If desired, serve with lime wedges and basil.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 354 calories, 13g fat (10g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 1112mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
May 21, 2020
No flavor. Will not cook again.
Jan 24, 2020
This was very flavorful but thin so I stirred in the cooked rice I had prepared and it was really good! I also added some salted peanuts on top before serving.