Curried Pineapple Rice
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 fresh pineapple or 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped, optional
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Cut fresh pineapple to form a serving bowl if desired (see p. 58). Cut removed fruit into bite-size chunks; set aside. If using canned pineapple, drain and set aside (discard juice or save for another use).
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in rice, garlic and curry powder. Add broth, soy sauce and jalapeno if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in green onions and pineapple chunks. Spoon into pineapple shell. Replenish as needed or place remaining rice in another serving bowl.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Aug 9, 2011
A good recipe to have on hand. I would and have made it more than once. I also used green pepper instead of OR in addition to Jalapeno. I also use lite soy sauce. Oftern I add left over chicken, or pork. Carrot slices and snow peas also work very well. Pluse adding veggies is a great way to up the fiber and lower the carbs a little depending on what veggies you addand how much. Try stirring some green onion in, including the gree parts. It adds color and looks nice. I add the green onion in during the last 5 min of cookingA great take to work recipe for those who pack lunch. Freezez well too.
May 7, 2011
Made a meal of this. Served 4-5.Halved this recipe, but kept all the pineapple. Left out the jalapeno and green onions. Added 1/2 orange bell pepper (chopped), 1/4 pound frozen salad shrimp, and home-grown garlic chives.Added the bell pepper and shrimp after the rice was done and cooked until the shrimp were thawed. Sprinkled the chives on top when serving.Even the 16 month-old liked it!
Aug 21, 2009
No comment left
Jul 7, 2008
We loved it! The Four Z's
Mar 22, 2008
very good. I subed half of the chicken both for no sugar added pineapple juice. I also used green peppers instead of jalapeno I like the taste of lite soy better than regular too. You can easily add chunks of Cooked chicken to this to serve as a main dish. I have aso made this with some water chestnuts and / or almonds It is a great recipe to have on hand, because it is so versitle