Curried Lamb Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour 25 min.
- 2 pounds lean lamb stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground coriander, cumin and cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Hot cooked noodles or rice, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil in batches on all sides; remove from pan and keep warm. Cook onion and garlic in drippings until onion is tender. Add the curry, salt, pepper, coriander, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the water, pineapple juice, apple and tomato sauce.
- Return meat to Dutch oven. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream. Serve with noodles or rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 310 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 533mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Oct 24, 2017
It was really good. I added a little garlic powder and onion powder to enhance the flavor to my liking. My family enjoyed it as well. Thanks
Feb 20, 2013
Exceptional! Substituted tomato paste for the tomato sauce (w/added water). Very, very good. Will make this again! Husband loved it! It's spicy....but not too hot.
Jan 4, 2011
This was very tasty. Maybe a little too creamy personally, but very similar to what you get at any good Indian restaurant. I only left out the coriander as I didn't have it on hand so I added a little more cumin, since I like the taste. But very good recipe.
Oct 29, 2010
i love love LOVE this stew! I make it every year for Halloween. I always double the spice mixture tho. I love spice so thats just my progitave. its a must make!
Feb 10, 2010
Excellent. Spicy and creamy. I added green pepper and celery as I had less than the required amount of lamb.
Mar 20, 2009
This stew is EXCELLENT! My husband is addicted, and hunts for sales on lamb now with this dish in mind when we're shopping ;). I have 1) added additional liquids in the form of tomato sauce or pureed canned tomatoes, and b) added substantially more cayenne because we're spice fans. Can't recommend this enough!