Curried Beef Pita Pockets
If there are people in your family who think they won’t like the taste of curry, serve this. They’ll be curry lovers forever! —Mary Ann Kosmas, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 8 pita pocket halves
- Refrigerated tzatziki sauce, optional
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, brown ground beef with the onion, garlic and curry; drain and discard garlic. Stir in the water, salt, sugar and pepper. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add tomato and zucchini; cook just until heated through. Spoon meat mixture into pita breads. If desired, serve with tzatziki sauce.
A simple switch to 90% lean ground beef would save 4g fat per serving; use 95% lean to save 8g per serving.
Nutrition Facts2 filled pita halves: 393 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 665mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Jan 8, 2012
This was excellent! I would however add in drained stewed tomatoes and create a light Caribbean yogurt sauce with jerk seasoning to complete the flavors. healthy and delicious.
Jun 22, 2011