Cuban Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons spiced rum, optional
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 to 6 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) French bread
- Yellow mustard, optional
- 16 dill pickle slices
- 1-1/2 pounds thinly sliced deli ham
- 1-1/2 pounds Swiss cheese, sliced
- In a 6- or 7-qt. slow cooker, combine first 9 ingredients. Add pork; cook, covered, on low until tender, 8-10 hours. Remove roast; shred with 2 forks. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook meat in batches until lightly browned and crisp in spots.
- Cut each loaf of bread in half lengthwise. If desired, spread mustard over cut sides of bread. Layer bottom halves of bread with pickles, pork, ham and cheese. Replace tops. Cut each loaf into 8 slices.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 619 calories, 31g fat (13g saturated fat), 143mg cholesterol, 1257mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 50g protein.
Jul 3, 2020
I substituted cajun seasoning for the other spices, came out delicious. If you want a more traditional Mexican flavor use taco or fajita seasoning, great for tacos and fajitas
Jan 18, 2019
I can't comment on the sandwich part of the recipe, I served this with cauli=rice and the juices spread on top. It had good flavor and was easy to prepare.