Cuban Black Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes9 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 9 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
- 9 teaspoons fat-free sour cream
- 9 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute the celery, onion, garlic and jalapeno in oil until onion is tender. Stir in the beans, broth, water, seasonings and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan; heat through. Garnish each serving with tomatoes, sour cream and cilantro.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 202 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 786mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Jun 10, 2011
We had a black bean soup at a business dinner years ago. My husband and I both loved it. I've been looking for a similar recipe for years. This is it! Thanks!
Jan 15, 2011
This was pretty good. Served it with fresh baked bread. Made a nice light dinner.
Nov 9, 2010
This soup was excellent, quick easy and has a wonderful taste. It will become one of our staple recipes!!! Make it just as it is!!!
Dec 2, 2009
No comment left
Aug 9, 2009
This has become one of my standards to take to lunch at work. See also Light & Tasty, Oct/Nov 2007 for this recipe.
Mar 12, 2009
We had a DELICIOUS black bean soup at a busniess dinner several years ago. I loved it and have been looking for a similar recipe ever since. This is it! LOVE the flavor!