Crumb-Coated Baked Chicken
This light, oven-fried chicken has a pretty golden coating and a slightly crunchy texture. “My family really loves this, and I like that it has less fat than traditional fried chicken,” relates Suzanne Zick from Maiden, North Carolina.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried cilantro flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves (6 ounces each), skin removed
- Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with foil and coat the foil with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, combine buttermilk and hot pepper sauce. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cornmeal and seasonings. Dip chicken in buttermilk mixture, then roll in crumb mixture. Place bone side down in prepared pan.
- Spritz chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven; spritz again with cooking spray. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 170°.