I first tasted these cookies as a newlywed in 1959. Over the years, I've made a few modifications, and now they turn out perfectly every time. —Joanne Kramer, Manchester, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 5-1/2 dozen
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups crisp rice cereal, divided
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Crush 2 cups of cereal; add flour, baking soda and baking powder. Gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in butterscotch chips and remaining cereal. Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl.
- Roll dough into 1-1/4-in. balls, then roll in topping. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; flatten slightly with glass.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 188 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.