Crispy Orange Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 16 ounces frozen popcorn chicken (about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- Bake popcorn chicken according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots; cook and stir until tender, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in orange zest, juice, hoisin sauce, sugar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 4-6 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken to skillet; toss to coat. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without rice): 450 calories, 20g fat (3g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 1294mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Jul 28, 2020
Was okay. Not bad but not great. Won't make it again.
Jul 25, 2020
This was an easy quick and delicious meal. I had some trouble getting the sauce to thicken so I mixed 1 Tbsp. Cornstarch with a little cold water and added it to the sauce, which did the trick. Next time I probably won’t put in as much orange zest, if any, which I think will give it more of a sweet and sour flavor.
Jul 21, 2020
This was a huge hit at our house! My son especially loved this dish!
Jun 22, 2020
Made this recipe recently and it was every bit as good as it claims. It's a keeper and I will definitely make it again. Just as good as Chinese take-out and pretty easy, too!
May 20, 2020
Big hit! Added in chopped onion with the carrots; then steamed broccoli florets at the end; coating lightly with sauce.
Jul 31, 2019
This is a wonderful fast dinner recipe with just enough of a kick. My son loved it
Jun 14, 2019
Made a triple batch for all my kids and grandkids. Great flavor. My family really loved it. I made fried rice with it. I did have problems getting the sauce to thicken. Maybe bc it was a large batch.
Jun 12, 2019
I made my popcorn chicken from scratch and left out the hoisin sauce. I thought these were great.
Oct 21, 2018
Oct 19, 2018
Followed the recipe with the exception of 1/4 cup of hoisin sauce and I used a pinch od red pepper flakes instead of the cayenne. I also thicken the sauce with a little cornstarch. It was great. My popcorn chicken stayed crispy...will definitely make again