Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, sugar, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add tuna and Creole seasoning; heat through. Serve with rice if desired.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 160 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 858mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Oct 9, 2013
Great quick and easy meal that is very tasty. Oh, it is so good!
Jun 26, 2011
This is great, and I usually make it with shredded chicken and sometimes put frozen peas in at the end instead of green peppers in beginning as recipe says. Good over rice, and I love that this is one of those recipes where I really do have all of the ingredients on hand most all the time.
Oct 20, 2010
This is a great quick recipe. I often use shrimp instead of tuna.
Jan 12, 2010
This was exactly what I was looking for! It was inexpensive, healthy, filling, and tasted like it was cooked all day instead of the 10 minutes it actually took to make!