Creole Skillet Dinner
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a saucepan, bring the broth, rice, onion, 1 teaspoon garlic, chili powder, salt, turmeric, pepper and bay leaf to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, saute the next seven ingredients and remaining garlic in butter for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook until peppers are crisp-tender. Add tomato and peas; heat through. Remove from the heat. Add rice; keep warm.
- In a skillet, cook and stir chicken in lemon juice over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Add to rice mixture; toss. Top with almonds.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 491 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 1131mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 26g protein.
May 11, 2020
This is the first time I have ever written a review for anything. I use Taste of Home frequently. This recipe was very bad. It was A LOT of WORK, very time consuming, and NO flavor. I was skeptical and should have used my own judgment regarding the heat in the "creole" recipe. To those who want to try this recipe. be aware there is almost no flavoring for something called creole.
May 22, 2019
Jun 25, 2017
I've fixed this and everyone loves it. I also have substituted other meats with the same tasty results!!!
Nov 12, 2016
Long list of ingredients, but easy and always reliable. I usually add some sliced andouille sausage for additional flavor complexity, but it's certainly not necessary. Make it as hot or as mild as you wish! Flavorful and colorful as well, so it makes an attractive and inviting presentation! Have used this recipe for years!
Aug 19, 2016
Yum yum yum! All adults loved it and even my 1yo son ate it (chopped up :)). Despite the long ingredients list, it really is a snap to put together and took me about 45 minutes, start to finish. Will absolutely make it again!
Nov 30, 2011
This was very good. I used brown rice, so it took longer to cook. My husband says that this recipe is a keeper.
Aug 3, 2011
Made this dinner last night for the family. It was so simple even with the long ingredient list. It's also very versatile so you can tweak it to your families tastes.
Oct 9, 2009
I think it looks awesome and would love to try it.
Jun 15, 2009
This was so delicious. I forgot the hot sauce but the ones who really wanted it sprinkled it on. I will make this again.
Jan 9, 2008
No comment left