Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
Makesabout 1-1/2 quarts
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon and reaches at least 160°. Remove from the heat; cool quickly by setting pan in ice and stirring the mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or freeze immediately. When ready to freeze, pour custard and vanilla into the cylinder of an ice cream freezer. Freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 303 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 99mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 23, 2020
Definitely a keeper!! First time I ever tried to make homemade ice cream and it was wonderful.. I did have my stove eye on medium when I was heating the mixture as I have carpal tunnel and the constant stirring was aggravating it. Turned out great!
Jul 4, 2016
This vanilla ice cream is a keeper! It is creamy and rich with the eggs. I added a little vanilla bean with the extract and it has a real vanilla taste.
Jun 23, 2014
I followed the directions and it has been processing in the ice cream maker for over 2 hours and hasn't frozen yet. I know it's not the freezer because we have used it many times. Not happy with this recipe.
Jun 23, 2013
No comment left
Jun 16, 2012
This was the first recipe I tried with my new ice cream maker and it was delicious - nice flavour and texture. Being that my 13 year-old was assisting me, we added chopped Crispy Crunch bar (similar to Butterfinger) - delicious! The sky's the limit for add-in's!
May 1, 2012
this was absolutely delicious.
Aug 22, 2011
This is the best Ice Cream recipe ever! I will never use another recipe. My family adds a whole bag of Oreos and OH MY is it amazing!!
Apr 18, 2011
No comment left
Feb 13, 2011
Delicious! I added 2/3 cup of toffee chips during the last minute of the freezing process and it was out of this world good!
Sep 23, 2010
I love this easy recipe. I added some instant coffee crystals, almond flavoring and substituted stevia for most of the sugar--it turned out delicious! I think it would be even better with some fudge or brownie bits added and toasted almonds. But, those additions would not be anything without the fantastic base recipe of vanilla ice cream. Thank you, Mary!