Creamy Strawberry Dessert
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 45 wafers)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a large bowl, combine the wafer crumbs, sugars and butter; press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle gelatin over boiling water. Remove from the heat; stir until gelatin is completely dissolved, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in strawberries and milk. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until partially set.
- Fold whipped topping into strawberry mixture. Spread over prepared crust. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Cut into squares.
Jun 26, 2019
I made this last night and we all loved it. I asked if anyone thought it was too sweet and no one did, including me! I read all the reviews before I made it. I don't understand why it would set up for some people and not others. It set up perfectly for me. You have two packages of jello and only 1 cup of water. Mine set up immediately. It sliced just like the picture and it was refrigerated about two and a half hours before we ate it. I took note of other comments and added two cups of frozen strawberries I had in the freezer just to use them up. I can't even imagine how the crust could be too hard to cut? There's nothing to make it hard. I only put half the sugar in the vanilla wafers because I think a cup sounds like too much. I use a scant 1/4 of a cup when I make a graham cracker crust because I don't think it needs much either. I thought this was delicious and I will make it again and again.
Mar 3, 2016
I followed the recipe exactly. It never did set up. It was a runny mess. I used unsweetened strawberries and it was way too sweet. I will not be making this again.
Jun 28, 2013
No comment left
Jun 22, 2013
No comment left
Feb 11, 2013
No comment left
Oct 4, 2012
I followed the recipe exact and it was a soupy mess. Also the crust under was so hard it could not be cut easily. The picture showed a pretty slice. Don't know what went wrong as I even made it the day before.
Feb 8, 2012
This was WAY too sweet for my tastes, in spite of the fact that instead of the 20 oz. of frozen sweetened strawberries, I used 16 oz. of fresh strawberries, cut up. In fact, I think another pound of fresh strawberries would help cut the sweetness and there was certainly enough "matrix" to hold a lot more strawberries. Really, it was so sweet it reminded me of eating jelly beans! And I like jelly beans, but for a whole dessert???
Sep 21, 2010
Everyone loves this recipe! It is a great summertime dessert, but I get asked for it all year long from my family. When I take it to family dinners there never seems to be enough. I did make one change, my husband doesn't like vanilla wafers so I use graham cracker crumbs instead. Still works out great, you should give it a try once.
Aug 21, 2010
Easy and delicious. Always a huge hit at potlucks.
Jun 9, 2010