Creamy Hash Brown Casserole
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 package (32 oz.) frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 lb. process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups cornflakes, lightly crushed
- Fresh savory, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, cheese, sour cream, soup, 1/2 cup butter and onion. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Combine cornflakes and remaining butter; sprinkle on top. Bake, covered, at 350° until heated through, 40-50 minutes. Uncover, bake until top is golden brown, 10 minutes longer. If desired, garnish with savory.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 663 calories, 43g fat (27g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 1359mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Mar 6, 2020
This is a family favorite. I made a few adjustments. Added shredded cheddar instead and substituted Progresso Italian bread crumbs for the topping. It's awesome!
Jan 13, 2020
No comment left
Jun 20, 2019
I have made this dish using 32 oz. shredded hash browns. I prefer grated sharp cheddar cheese. I also use crushed ruffled chips on top. I will use cubed hash browns next time.
May 28, 2019
I Usually use crackers but I had some cornflakes I needed to use. It gave it a great crunchy texture. My family loved it.
May 18, 2019
This is a great casserole! I've never made it with velveeta. I substitute shredded cheddar cheese since we like that better. The cornflakes on top add a great crunch!
May 17, 2018
I've made this for a long time, but I use potatoes O'Brien and cheddar cheese, no condensed soup.
Feb 18, 2018
this has been my go to potatoes for at least 15 yrs now (I saw it in TOH magazine when it came out). I just now thought to look to see if it's online so I could add it to my recipe box. I love these potatoes and I take them everywhere and other people love them too. I have friends ask me to bring these. The only difference is I use shredded cheddar cheese instead of velveeta, otherwise I make them as is. I occasionally add a can of french fried onions instead of the cornflakes.
Nov 15, 2017
I have made this potato casserole recipe for 25 years and is a family favorite. Instead of the velveeta, I use a can of cream of cheddar soup (undiluted) and add 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar. Sometimes I mix in cubed ham to make it a meal in itself. Delicious!
Jul 7, 2015
This is my "go-to" hashbrown casserole recipe. Really good and easy to make.
May 11, 2014
Love this casserole, my friend substitutes 1 sleeve crumbled ritz crackers with butter in place of cornflakes , much better taste for my family.