Creamy Chicken Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon each salt, pepper and paprika
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes,1/2-inch pieces
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup each coarsely chopped green and sweet red pepper
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 7 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Warm biscuits
- In a Dutch oven, cook and stir the chicken, salt, pepper and paprika in oil until the chicken juices run clear, stirring occasionally; drain. Add the vegetables, basil, bay leaf, celery salt and 5 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Remove bay leaf. In a large saucepan, melt butter; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until smooth. Gradually whisk in remaining broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour into the Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through. Serve with biscuits.
Dec 6, 2016
So easy to put together....I left out the peppers (our little boy doesn't like peppers) I added 2 tbsps sage as we love it so much
Oct 13, 2015
Loved this! I did sub the peppers with fresh green beans cut up ( we can't handle the peppers ) and I didn't have any regular paprika and used smoked paprika. I was a little worried browning the chicken with its smell but this came out great! I will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing!
Aug 25, 2015
A nice basic chicken stew. I left out the peppers and added a few green beans. Excellent.
Apr 17, 2013
No comment left
Nov 17, 2011
this is a big hit with our friends only thing we changed was used small red potatoes cut in bite size peaces excellent
Nov 17, 2011
this is a big hit with our friends only thing we changed was used small red potatoes cut in bite size peaces excelent
Aug 9, 2011
My husband refuses to eat this, but a couple years ago, I made it for my grandchildren. They enjoyed it. It could use more herbs.
Jan 28, 2011
There should be a circle for Maybe. This is wonderfully creamy, but since I made it with homemade broth, it lacked chicken flavor. I resorted to two chicken bouillon cubes and put in half a small jar of poultry seasoning. I left out the green and red peppers. Perhaps McCormick's chicken base would have worked better.
Jan 20, 2011
I was not a fan of the red pepper in this recipe. I am still on a search for the perfect creamy chicken stew recipe :(
Feb 2, 2010
This recipe is a keeper. Down home flavor . It has become one of my comfort foods.