Creamy Chicken Rice Casserole
Total TimePrep: 1-3/4 hours Bake: 55 min.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- 2 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- Place the chicken, water, salt, garlic and thyme in a large kettle or Dutch oven. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Remove chicken from broth; cool. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and cut meat into chunks. Set aside. Skim fat from broth. Place 3-1/2 cups broth in a bowl (save remaining broth for another use); add chicken and remaining ingredients. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until rice is tender.
Jun 13, 2011
No comment left
Jan 20, 2011
Sorry, but we didn't enjoy this. The rice came out quite dry, and there was much too much of it in proportion to the other ingredients. It was pretty onion-y, and I also wasn't crazy about the canned soup taste--it was overwhelming, even though I had added some fresh thyme to the mix. I might try a variation of this, cutting the rice back to 2 1/2 cups or less, and maybe replacing some of the stock with wine for flavor.
Sep 13, 2009
Love this recipe, used without the mushroom soup but still was great. This is a good base recipe to add your own touch.
Mar 17, 2009
I really love this! Perfect flavor and consistency - kids eat it too! Thanks.
Jan 21, 2006
No comment left