Creamy Chicken and Rice
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 5 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 12 ounces Velveeta, cubed
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1-1/4 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 32)
- Spread rice into a greased shallow 3-qt. or 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, bouillon, seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; add chicken, cheese and sour cream; stir until the cheese is melted. Pour over rice.
- Melt the remaining butter; toss the cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 723 calories, 43g fat (24g saturated fat), 169mg cholesterol, 1164mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 36g protein.
May 30, 2018
No comment left
Nov 4, 2017
Pretty simple. Flavors are about the same as most chicken & rice/pasta dishes.
Aug 26, 2015
Very cheesy, rich and crunchy topping. Will make again. Next time I'm going to put some frozen peas in it.
May 18, 2015
Nothing special about this recipe. Wasn't bad, my boyfriend loved it. Didn't come together as quickly as it should've. Ideal for a potluck or small gathering.1/4 the recipe for just "the two of you" as this will feed a small army. If not you end up with a soggy leftover mess.
May 16, 2015
So tasty yet so easy, as it uses ingredients I always have on hand. The Sour cream and cheese combine to make a simply delicious sauce. I rely on this dish often when I need a quick potluck dish.
Feb 24, 2015
Hoping this will be yummy; this is what I did to it! I used brown rice b/c that was all I had. I used only about 8 oz of velveeta, again b/c that was all I had. I didn't use chicken bouillon because I didn't have any. Instead I used low salt chicken broth for half the liquid and heavy cream for the other half (I needed to use it up). I added some garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and paprika but no salt. I also used only half the sour cream listed and used light sour cream. I wanted to add some peas as many of you recommended but my 12 year old daughter would not hear of it! For the topping I used crushed buffalo cheddar potato chips that needed to be used up. I did not use butter in the topping but did use it to make the roux. It looked really yummy going into the oven. If it isn't I will re-post. If it is good I will probably not remember to come back and say so! I'm giving it five stars because I hope it will be yummy and it was very easy to make!
Apr 4, 2012
No comment left
Jan 16, 2012
Loved it, will make again.
Nov 30, 2011
This is one of our favorite recipes so far! I did alter it a bit by adding a chopped red pepper, half a red onion and some chopped carrots and cauliflower. Trust me, no one will be able to spot the hidden veggies and the kids will love it. Excellent dinner.
Aug 23, 2011
43 grams of fat and 1,164 mg sodium? Are you kidding me?