Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line an 8-in. square pan with foil; grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter and set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and remaining butter; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil slowly for 4 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from the heat; stir in milk. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage), stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Cool. Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Discard foil; cut candy into 1-in. squares. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends.
Test Kitchen Tips
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 72 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 45mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Sep 17, 2019
I have literally made these caramels no less than 20 times (maybe 30) and they are by far and away "THEE BEST" caramels ever. However, I have been successful (every time) in combining all ingredients in the pan at the same times as opposed to adding the milk after everything else has been cooked. Suggestion, you parchment paper instead of foil...you'll be glad you did, TRUST ME !!! YUMMY! YUMMY! YUMMY!!!!
Oct 12, 2018
Used light corn syrup instead of dark, still came out awesome!
Oct 8, 2018
Can't wait to try these!
Jan 8, 2018
I made these recently and they turned out delicious. I've tried other caramel recipes over the years with little success, but these are great! I lined my pan with non-stick foil and the caramels came off easily. I also sprinkled coarse sea salt over the top of half of the pan immediately after pouring to make salted caramels, a family favorite. Thanks for sharing this great recipe!
Dec 17, 2017
I love this recipe. The caramels taste fabulous. However; this year they turned out too chewy and buttery. What did I do to cause this?
Dec 8, 2017
No comment left
Dec 2, 2017
Fantastic caramels and so easy to make. First tried these last year for holiday gifts and got many requests for more this year. Doubling the recipe worked very well but wouldn't try more than that at a time. Used parchment paper and it worked like a dream.
Aug 29, 2017
I've been making these for several years, and always get lots of compliments. I've used raspberry extract instead of vanilla for a nice twist. If you do use foil, butter it well and use heavy duty as I spent a long time peeling it off of the one pan I made with "regular" foil.
May 8, 2017
This is incredibly easy!! My son love these.
Dec 20, 2016
Turned out perfectly and could not have been easier! Another recipe I tried last year failed miserably. Thrilled with these results and have plans for another batch with chopped pecans stirred in!! SO excited!