Creamy Caramel Flan
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 50 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 5 large eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a heavy saucepan, cook sugar and water over medium-low heat until melted and golden, about 15 minutes. Brush down crystals on the side of the pan with additional water as necessary. Quickly pour into an ungreased 2-qt. round baking or souffle dish, tilting to coat the bottom; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until thoroughly combined. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Pour over caramelized sugar.
- Place the dish in a larger baking pan. Pour boiling water into larger pan to a depth of 1 in. Bake until the center is just set (mixture will jiggle), 50-60 minutes.
- Remove dish from a larger pan to a wire rack; cool for 1 hour. Refrigerate overnight.
- To unmold, run a knife around edges and invert onto a large rimmed serving platter. Cut into wedges or spoon onto dessert plates; spoon sauce over each serving.
Creamy Caramel Flan Tips
What is flan?Flan (also called crème caramel or caramel custard) is a custard dessert with a layer of caramel sauce. Flan has been a staple of Mexican and Latin American cuisine since Spaniards brought it to Mexico during the Spanish occupation. Bake your way around the world with these other globally-inspired baking recipes.
Can you overcook flan?Yes, you can overcook flan. Overcooking your flan will result in a rubbery, eggy final product. A reliable way to test flan and baked custards for doneness is to gently thump the side of the pan. If the custard wobbles as one unit (instead of rippling like a stone’s been tossed in the pool), it’s ready.
How do you store flan?You can store flan by tightly covering and refrigerating it for up to 4 days. We don’t recommend freezing flan.
Is crème brulee or panna cotta the same as flan?Crème brulee and panna cotta are very similar to flan in that they are all custard-style desserts, but their cooking techniques and ingredients are different from one another.
What can you serve with flan?This contest-winning dessert tastes delicious by itself or you can try topping your serving off with berries, nuts or toasted coconut. Love Baking? Join Bakeable, Taste of Home's community dedicated to the joy of baking. Subscribe to the Bakeable newsletter and join the Facebook group where you’ll find recipes, tips and monthly challenges.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 345 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 0 fiber), 10g protein.
Jul 19, 2020
Thank you for sharing this recipe. It turns out perfectly and delicious! ??????
Jun 23, 2020
I have made this for a couple of holidays. Because I have some Cuban in-laws I went over the top and used a butterscotch sauce instead of caramel. Worked great. Melt 1/2 stick of butter, add 3/4 cup of brown sugar. After sugar is melted add 1/4 cup of heavy cream. Boil 4-5 minutes, until you reach 220 degrees F.
Jun 22, 2020
I decided to make an account just to review this absolutely incredible flan! I made this for my grandfather for Father's Day since he hadn't had flan in years. I've never made flan and was not sure if I was doing it correctly. The instruction video helped a lot and it came out wonderful! While I had some crystallized sugar stuck in the pan at the end when I went to flip the flan, it ended up being a blessing since the sugar content was good without the extra bit on the top! This flan is so wonderfully creamy and delicious. My grandfather had three slices and at the end told me, "You made my day." Thank you for this recipe!
May 24, 2020
Amazing, I simply followed the recipe and the dessert turned out to be outstanding!! Simple and super delicious, thank you!
May 11, 2020
Almost perfect! I had to cook one for my Hondurian boyfriends cookout, and I'd never eaten flan before. This impressed my bf's mom,which is very hard to do. Only complaint is that I couldn't get the sugar to cook with water, and when I did it without water it turned hard and most of it wouldn't come out of the pan. Overall, wonderful.
May 5, 2020
But, does it have to set overnight? I am making this for a birthday and the birthday happens to be today. But I still want to make it so...
Apr 21, 2020
No comment left
Mar 11, 2020
I preped the mix first, and I did the caramel part after. This helped prevent the sugar from hardening too much. Recipe worked out great. Very much like a crême caramel-cheesecake hybrid.
Feb 26, 2020
I have a question because I am wanting to try this recipe here soon. For the dish pan, would it work if I used a cheesecake spring form pan?
Jan 30, 2020
No comment left