Creamy Asparagus and Carrots
Here in Missouri, asparagus season is short, so we savor every delicious bite of this delicacy. Of course, this vegetable freezes so well I'm able to prepare tasty dishes like this year-round.—Darlene Schafer, Corder, Missouri
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch pepper
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- In a saucepan, bring carrots and water to a boil; cover and cook for 4 minutes. Add asparagus; cover and cook for 3 minutes or until just tender. Drain, reserving liquid; add enough water to liquid to equal 1/3 cup. Set vegetables aside; return liquid to skillet. Combine cream cheese, flour, salt, nutmeg and pepper; add to liquid. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts and sauce is bubbly, about 3 minutes. Stir in vegetables and heat through. Garnish with almonds.