Cream-Filled Chocolate Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Chocolate frosting
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, milk, oil, water, eggs and vanilla until well blended. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into egg mixture until blended.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups halfway. Bake at 375° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat butter, shortening, confectioners' sugar, milk, vanilla and salt until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Insert a very small tip into a pastry bag; fill with cream filling. Push tip through bottom of paper liner to fill each cupcake. Frost cupcakes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 195 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Oct 31, 2019
These cupcakes were easy enough to prepare and tasted great. I was a little uncoordinated in filling them though thinking it would be easier and cleaner from the top, but ended up poking a hole in the bottom and filling from the bottom as instructed. Everyone was surprised with the cream filling. I would make them again.
Dec 23, 2014
You can pipe filling in from the top; less messy when serving!
Sep 26, 2014
Do they get soggy if not eaten right away? Baking these for a bake sale. Please let me know ASAP. Thanks.
Mar 12, 2014
This was a decent recipe. They stuck to the wrappers too much, though. I had no problem filling them, and the kids enjoyed. We actually ended up using the filling as frosting, just made it thicker. It piped well and tasted awesome. We sprinkled some chocolate chips on top. Yum.
Aug 13, 2013
I don't like using shortening is there anything I can use to substitute it??
Feb 16, 2013
I thought it was a little hard to get enough filling in the cupcakes; mine did not look like the photo. Might have been my technique. Still yummy, though, and I would definitely make them again.
Jan 26, 2013
No comment left
Dec 8, 2012
A moist, not-too sweet cake with a rich butter cream filling. I had extra filling, added more powdered sugar, milk and cocoa to make the chocolate frosting. Great flavor and not too sugary sweet!
Jan 8, 2011
I've made these many times and each time I've gotten faster at doing it. I make my own buttercream icing which adds to the time factor but everyone loves them. Sometimes if I have left over filling, I add it to my icing mixture and it all works out just fine:)
Mar 21, 2010
The most time I have ever spent making cupcakes! incredibly yummy but yikes! Messy and hard to know how much you filled it. Didn't even last a day, though. 4 stars, but I won't make again.