Cranberry Orange Rugelach
A hint of cranberry and a splash of orange are wrapped in buttery cookie, then drizzled in chocolate. Can you say, "heaven?" A platter of these showstopping treats makes any event a celebration. —Ginger Sullivan, Cutler Bay, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (5 ounces each) dried cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups golden raisins
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Melted chocolate, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and extracts. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into four portions. Shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place cranberries, raisins and juice in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 12-in. circle; spread each with 1/2 cup cranberry mixture. Cut each circle into 12 wedges.
- Roll up wedges from wide end and place point side down 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets; brush with egg.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Drizzle with melted chocolate if desired. Store in an airtight container.
For Hazelnut Rugalach: Omit filling ingredients. Spread 1/4 cup Nutella over each circle. Proceed as directed. For Chocolate-Coconut Rugalach: Omit filling ingredients. Place 1 cup miniature chocolate chips and 1 cup flaked coconut in a food processor. Cover and pulse until finely chopped. Sprinkle 1/2 cup mixture over each circle. Proceed as directed. For Walnut Rugalach: Omit filling ingredients. Place 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts, 2/3 cup packed brown sugar and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon in a food processor. Cover and pulse until finely chopped. Sprinkle 1/2 cup mixture over each circle. Proceed as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 122 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 56mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.