Cranberry Cinnamon Christmas Tree Rolls
These festive rolls are sure to spark lively conversations at your holiday brunch. Colorful cranberries make an appetizing addition to ordinary cinnamon rolls.
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes2 trees (16 rolls each)
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- Cranberries and red and green candied cherries, halved
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the sour cream, water and butter to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring cranberries and water to a boil. Cover and boil gently for 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup brown sugar. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool. Combine the pecans, softened butter, cinnamon and remaining brown sugar; set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each into a 14x12-in. rectangle. Brush each with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Spread half of the pecan mixture. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Brush with remaining melted butter.
- To form a tree from each log, cut a 2-in. piece from one end for a tree trunk; set aside. Then cut each log into 15 slices. Cover two baking sheets with foil and grease well. Center one slice near the top of each prepared baking sheet.
- Arrange slice with sides touching in four more rows, adding one slice for each row, forming a tree. Center the reserved slice lengthwise below the tree for trunk. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a saucepan, heat corn syrup over low heat. Transfer foil with trees onto wire racks; brush with corn syrup. Cool for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar and milk. Fill a small pastry or plastic bag; cut a small hole in corner of bag. Pipe on trees for garlands. Garnish with cranberries and candied cherries.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 201 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.