Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup cooked or canned crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 4 sole, flounder or pike fillets (about 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Sliced almonds
- In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, crab, onion, egg, salt and cayenne. Spoon onto fillets; roll up and secure with a toothpick. Place in a greased 2-qt. broiler-proof dish; drizzle with 2 tablespoons butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350°for 25-30 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, place remaining butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Drain liquid from baking dish. Spoon sauce over fillets; sprinkle with cheese and almonds. Broil 5 in. from the heat until cheese is melted and almonds are lightly browned. Discard toothpicks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 318 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 184mg cholesterol, 789mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 40g protein.
Feb 19, 2016
This recipe is very good. I agree that a nice piece of fresh fish from the Seafood shop is preferred. I did feel the onions in the stuffing should have been sauteed a little first. There was a sharp bite of raw onion which took away from it being a five star. Otherwise a great dish.
May 4, 2009
The success of this recipe depends on the quality and freshness of the fish.This is a very good recipe when made with good quality fish. I made this with fresh fish purchased from a seafood shop, and fresh crabmeat, and it was to die for. Usually I use canned crabmeat, which is good; and I have also successfully substituted canned tuna for the crabmeat in the filling, and it was good. But I have also prepared the recipe with inferior flounder from the grocery store and was disappointed.This recipe makes a very nice presentation and is easy to prepare.
Jan 8, 2007
No comment left
Oct 22, 2006
No comment left