Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, butter, mustard, salt, cumin and hot pepper sauce to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until smooth and shiny. Stir in the cheese and crab.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 23-26 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts3 piece: 162 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 292mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 9g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 24, 2018
I haven’t made these yet, but I have a question. Is one tablespoon ground mustard correct? Is that dry mustard? Seems like a lot.
Nov 1, 2017
Question: How far in advance can this batter be made?
Oct 14, 2014
Can these be made the night before and then reheated in the microwave?
Oct 1, 2013
I'm rating this a 5 star cause I just made them for a tailgate party this past Sunday and the guys went CRAZY! We dipped them in my homemade chili... WOW! Fabulous-
Sep 30, 2013
OMG, this recipe was so good! I'm not sure where you went wrong, MaryBrehm, but my puffs turned out perfectly. I even took them to my alma mater football tailgate on Saturday. They were a hit!
Dec 29, 2011
Wow! Where did I go wrong? The batter was as thin as pancake batter. These never did puff up like the photo. Is this supposed to use self-rising flour or baking soda/powder? In frustration I poured the batter into a pie pan and baked it. It turned out somewhat like a quiche. It does have a wonderful flavor.