Cowboy Calico Beans
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar and mustard; add to meat mixture. Stir in the beans. Cover and cook on low until heated through, 4-5 hours.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 326 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 808mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 10g fiber), 22g protein.
Jun 19, 2020
My Aunt Henrietta used to make these for all our birthdays. I do put in 3 cans of pork
Jun 16, 2020
Perfect recipe. Cooked these last night , we all enjoyed them. Would be great for a potluck get together. At first , after reading one of the comments, I ommited some of the brown sugar in fear it would be to sweet. But then had to add it back into the dish. This recipe has a perfect balance with the acidity and sweet. Just try it exactly as it is.
Mar 29, 2020
thanks for sharing recipe i would make again but too sweet i may leave out brown sugar :)
Feb 6, 2020
Fantastic. Hearty and sweet. I have some in my Crock-Pot for tomorrow's dinner.
Aug 16, 2019
MISSING INGREDIENT: B.A.C.O.N!!
Aug 4, 2019
Just made these beans for dinner and they are AWESOME. Used a pound of pork sausage instead of ground beef and family just loved them.
Jul 26, 2019
I make this same recipe but add a pound of bacon. I could eat it every day. I make it quite often and give recipe out as often. It’s YUMMY!
Mar 12, 2018
Delicious! When I took them to a family function...my brother wouldn’t stop eating them!
Dec 30, 2017
Tebecca, lima beans and butter beans are two different beans. Each has its own distinctive flavor.
Dec 24, 2017
Very, very good. Always take this to a Christmas eve family potluck, and come home with an empty pot. But this year I have some leftover (hard to believe) bbq baby back ribs, and instead of hamburg, I wonder------. To Rebecca ...no I don't think they're the same thing. Certainly don't taste the same. I like to use baby butter beans, and a splash of maple syrup.