Country Pizza Pie
This hearty sausage dish has been a family favorite for over 20 years. My four children were raised on it.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 6 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the eggs, cheddar cheese, milk, oregano and pepper. Pour into crust.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Spread pizza sauce over sausage mixture; top with cheese. Bake 5-8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.