Cornmeal Cheddar Biscuits
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture crumbly. Stir in cheese and milk just until moistened.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto a ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 177 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 15, 2019
These are delicious and great way to change up regular biscuits. I was a little heavy handed with the cheese, so ended up with 3/4 to 1 cup of cheese probably. No other changes, very good. A keeper recipe for sure.
Jan 19, 2018
These are perfect! I used just a little extra flour and corn meal and milk so I could do a slight knead. Timing and proportions are just right.
Oct 9, 2015
I thought they were pretty boring. Dense and crumbly. Like cornbread. I've come to think that a biscuit is not a biscuit without buttermilk.
Sep 13, 2015
These were perfect. Not dry like other biscuit recipes. They were not that cheesy so you could definitely increase the cheddar to a full cup like review cmgentzel suggested. Also, I ran out of milk so I used Vanilla Almond milk instead. So good. Really easy to make. Didn't bake longer than 12 mins. I'll make these all the time.
Mar 7, 2011
These were so crispy and light...yum!
Dec 4, 2010
I made this recipe for the first time and we loved them!!! Although I increased the cheese to 1 cup. My family loved them and I will definitely make them again.