Cornish Hens with Rice Dressing
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour 25 min.
- 1-1/3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 Cornish hens (1 to 1-1/2 pounds each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Pepper to taste
- In an ungreased 9-in. square baking dish, combine the broth, rice, mushrooms, celery, onion, 1/4 teaspoon marjoram and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place hens on rice mixture and brush with oil. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining marjoram and salt.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover and bake 25-35 minutes longer or until juices run clear.
Apr 12, 2020
I made this for our Easter afternoon lunch and was disappointed in the outcome. I followed the directions and after 1:35 hours there was still so much liquid. I let roast a bit longer and ended up taking out and straining the rice. Very mushy rice. Not sure where this went wrong but won’t be making again to find out.