Cornbread Taco Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the corn, tomato sauce, water, green pepper and taco seasoning. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Prepare cornbread mix according to package directions for cornbread. Stir in half of the onions. Spread over beef mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and remaining onions. Bake until cheese is melted and a toothpick inserted into cornbread layer comes out clean, 3-5 minutes longer.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 541 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 1491mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein.
Aug 24, 2020
Really tasty recipe! I used diced green chiles instead of green bell pepper. Otherwise, made a written. Easy to prepare and I will make this again. May have to try beans and tortilla chips in it next time, per the recommendations of other reviewers! Thanks for your recipe, Vicki!
Aug 23, 2020
Loved this. Made while watching FoxNews and counting down to the big RNC! Loved it!!!
Aug 12, 2020
How fun! Toasting Kamala Harris on martinis so it’s taking a bit longer to make this. I didn’t have all of the ingredients so I substituted Creamed corn, jalapeños and chunky salsa. Added corn chips. Love this whacky recipe!
May 29, 2020
I made this a few weeks ago and both my kids and my partner LOVED it! Will definitely be making it again.
May 20, 2020
No comment left
Mar 31, 2020
Great, quick dinner! Didn’t have French fried onions but cooked diced onions along with the meat. Added some dollops of sour cream and cheese under the corn bread layer. Delicious!
Mar 23, 2020
I made this tonight and it was delishes. Because of things going on in the world I’m doing a lot more cooking. I love the easy, quick, and few ingredients recipes. .
Mar 22, 2020
This recipe is “eh” - not great, but not the worst thing I’ve ever eaten. Easy enough to make, but not something I’ll make again.
Mar 17, 2020
No comment left
Jun 1, 2019
I made this as per the recipe (except for using green colors instead of green peppers which is what I had in hand). I also used the recipe for the taco seasoning mix. So glad I found this recipe! Even my very picky husband liked it! I will definitely be making again!