This recipe appeared in our local newspaper years ago. I adapted the recipe to suit our tastes. My husband, Ron, is a great cook, and we've been sharing the kitchen since his retirement. - Sherry Edwards, Camden, Arkansas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups cornbread, crumbled
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1-1/3 cups mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, layer cornbread, beans, celery, onion and tomatoes. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar. Spoon beef over tomato layer. Spread topping over salad (do not toss).
When making Corn Bread Salad, you can either use your own homemade corn bread recipe or an 8-1/2 ounce mix. If using a mix, follow package directions. When cool, crumble about half the corn bread to measure 1-1/2 cups for the salad. Crumble and freeze the remaining corn bread for another use, or cut it into squares and serve with soup.