Cookie Dough Brownies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla until well blended. Combine flour, cocoa and salt; gradually beat into egg mixture. Stir in walnuts if desired.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick insert in center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in milk and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour. Spread over brownies; chill until firm.
- For glaze, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread over filling. Immediately sprinkle with nuts, pressing down slightly. Let stand until set.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 9, 2020
I am in disbelief that TOH staff would still support a recipe that uses Unbaked Flour! It's been in the news for a number of years that it can harbor dangerous bacteria and/or toxins! Please find a way to pre-bake the flour prior to adding to recipe. Thank you.
May 28, 2018
This was an ok brownie recipe. I doubled the cookie dough layer as some suggested but I thought it was too much. Maybe 1 1/2 recipes would work?
Apr 4, 2018
This is one of my very favorite dessert recipes! I've been making these brownies ever since they first appeared in TOH in 1995. They always bring rave reviews and a pan of them never lasts very long!
Jul 13, 2017
These brownies are delicious. After reading the other reviews, I used boxed brownie mix (9x13 size), doubled the filling, and added mini chocolate chips. I will make these again.
Jun 18, 2017
These definitely satisfy our sweet tooth. They're yummy!
Oct 27, 2015
You need to double the cookie dough portion. Otherwise there isn't enough.Great brownies. Cookie dough is amazing. They are much richer than I expected.
Sep 12, 2015
No comment left
Aug 31, 2015
These were AMAZING! I will definitely make these again! Loved the taste of the brown sugar combined with the chocolate and brownie!
Jul 21, 2015
Really, really rich! Great to take to a bake sale or potluck because they cut into squares easily.
Jun 8, 2015
I made 2 pans last week, 1 for a function and another for myself. The whole pan was gone quickly at the function. I also have very strict dietary restrictions due to allergies and I was able to make this without dairy, eggs and soy which was a definite plus for me. We just subbed apple sauce for eggs, and used soy free dairy free butter, almond milk and dairy free chocolate chips. I was a bit skeptical of how they would turn out but boy was I surprised how great they were. Wonderful dessert and we will be making these again soon!