Contest-Winning German Pizza
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 medium potatoes (about 2-1/4 pounds), peeled and finely shredded
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the beef, onion, green pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to low; melt butter in pan. Spread potatoes over butter and sprinkle with remaining salt. Top with beef mixture. Combine eggs and milk; pour over all.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until set in the center. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook until melted. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 462 calories, 24g fat (14g saturated fat), 195mg cholesterol, 948mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Nov 19, 2014
How can this have 16 ratings and only 2 reviews? Only adding one star because I had to , to add the comment.
May 28, 2014
Hmmm......the idea behind this recipe is great and it tasted ok. I was actually a little excited as I was making it. However, I (and others) just felt like it was a little bland tasting. If I make it again I will add some type of seasoning to the ground beef.
Jan 15, 2012
Awesome! Absolutely delicious! Thank you for sharing.
Mar 15, 2011
Very good as is. Thanks
Jan 7, 2010
I also decreased the salt in this recipe. Otherwise, everything was perfect. Next time, I would like to try a breakfast version as well as a dinner version using sausage as many have suggested within earlier reviews. Three cheers for german pizza!Does anyone have suggestions for making a larger batch (I.e. casserole dish/baking rather than skillet/cooking)? Thanks!
Dec 12, 2009
This is an easy recipe to make & tastes good but with all the salt, I do not use that much that is called for. We love it & doesn't take that long to prepare.
Dec 7, 2009
Did I miss reading the oven temperature in this recipe?
Dec 6, 2009
i used frozen hash browns too.
Dec 6, 2009
i didn't use the green peppers or onion and used sausage instead of the hamburger and i used mozzarella and cheddar. and it was good. will make it again. it would be good for a breakfast or brunch.
Dec 6, 2009
No comment left