Contest-Winning Festive Tossed Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 to 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 10 cups torn romaine
- 1 medium pear, chopped
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped cashews
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- For dressing, place first five ingredients in a blender; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Add poppy seeds; pulse just until combined.
- To serve, place remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Toss with dressing.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 288 calories, 21g fat (4g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 195mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Sep 23, 2019
Delicious. I cut this recipe in half; and substituted sunflower seeds for the poppy seeds; and raisins for the cranberries. Thank you Jauneen, for sharing this recipe.
Mar 16, 2018
Delicious any time of the year! It tastes great with sunflower seeds, too, in place of nuts.
Nov 19, 2017
This salad is a favorite at in our holiday menus. Goes as well with roasted meats as it does summer grilled entrees. we enjoy the tang of the dried cranberries, and the nuts give a nice crunch. I often substitute slivered almonds or chopped pecans.
Aug 31, 2017
Apr 6, 2017
Outstanding! A huge hit at our regular couples game night potluck dinner. The dressing is very flavorful. The fruit and cashews add a tasty crunch.
Mar 12, 2017
No comment left
Feb 13, 2017
Delicious!! All four of us enjoyed this salad. I prepared it exactly as described -- no deviation was necessary. I opted use a Granny Smith apple and a Bartlet pear. This salad will definitely go into my regular rotation.
Oct 27, 2016
I have made this salad recipe many times, it's one of my standby recipes. It's colorful, light, tasty and compliments just about any meal. The cashews top it off! I will continue recommending it.
Nov 21, 2014
Odd combo of ingredients but absolutely fantastic tasting and looking! Our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners must-have-on-the-table salad!
Feb 25, 2013
No comment left