Colorful Chicken Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 casseroles (4 servings each)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, green pepper and onion in butter until tender. Add the broth, corn, peas, salt if desired and pepper; heat through. Stir in chicken and macaroni.
- Divide between two 11x7-in. baking dishes coated with cooking spray. Top with mushrooms and cheese.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the second casserole at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through.
- To use frozen casserole: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 295 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Feb 15, 2017
I was surprised that I liked this. I really did think it needed a little more broth or some sort of sauce though.
Feb 18, 2016
Apr 29, 2015
I really liked this recipe and have no idea why others complained that it had no flavor. I added a little extra salt and pepper due to other comments and I left out the mushrooms because I don't like them; other than those small changes I followed the recipe. It was delicious and a nice change from all the typical creamy casseroles.
Sep 16, 2013
I used wacky pasta because that is what I had. Next time I will omit the broth and add a can of cream of something soup. Needed more seasoning also. Maybe some herbs.
Jul 28, 2013
No comment left
Jul 10, 2013
I wasn't impressed with this recipe. As others have said, it didn't have much flavor. With only the chicken stock added in the skillet, I wanted a more creamy sauce so I added some heavy cream. That helped but I wouldn't make this again.
Jan 3, 2013
I must admit that when I mixed it together, I didn't think it was going to be a keeper. I didn't have frozen peas so I substituted a can of them instead. Other than that, I followed the recipe. My hubby & I both thought it was quite good... 4-5 star recipe.
May 20, 2012
I have made this many times. We really enjoy this recipe because it does not require canned soups. It is like a very healthy chicken soup.
Feb 24, 2012
No comment left
Oct 16, 2011
This tasted like everything in the kitchen sink poorly thrown together. It needed creaminess to it, and more cheese.