Cocoa Rice Pudding
This creamy pudding has been a family favorite for 40 years. It's delicious with a dollop of whipped cream on top, but my husband—a true dairy farmer—just pours on more milk!
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 35 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream or additional milk
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk and rice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand 10 minutes. Stir together egg, sugars, cocoa and salt in a bowl; add a small amount of rice mixture to bowl and mix well.
- Return all to saucepan along with butter and vanilla. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cover and let cool in a saucepan for 1 hour. Serve with whipped cream or milk.