Cocoa Macaroon Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1-1/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Combine the milk, egg and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Spoon 2 tablespoonfuls into 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Combine 1 cup coconut, condensed milk and extract; place 2 teaspoonfuls in the center of each cup (do not spread). Top with remaining batter; sprinkle with remaining coconut.
- Bake at 400° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 253 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 346mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 26, 2017
I liked the flavorful center of these muffins. These also work for a dessert. I use dutch process cocoa here!!
Nov 8, 2012
there has to be something missing from this recipe. needs more sugar or something the muffin is terrible.
Apr 30, 2010
The picture looks wonderful and I followed the recipe exactly as written but the outcome was disappointing: bland, dry, almost flavorless - even with the pocket of coconut. So sorry, but I would not make this one again.
Oct 16, 2009
No comment left