Classic Wilted Lettuce Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 4 bacon strips, cut up
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 green onions with tops, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 to 10 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, chopped
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- To the hot drippings, add the vinegar, water, onions, sugar, salt and pepper, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Place lettuce in a salad bowl; immediately pour dressing over and toss lightly. Top with egg. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 118 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 4, 2020
Delicious! I used lettuce and green onions from my garden. The dressing is delicious!
May 19, 2020
This salad offers such a nice clean taste. It’s such a wonderful change of pace from heavy mayo based dressings. The combo of sweet and sour is perfect. And the bacon adds a nice smoky taste to the salad as well. I’d highly suggest giving this delicate salad a try. VFE
Jul 17, 2015
Grew up eating very similar but you forgot to throw in some slice and fried new potatoes.
Feb 12, 2015
Very easy & delicious recipe! I added an additional hard boiled egg as we like them.
Oct 13, 2014
And what are we supposed to do with the bacon? Logically, I can figure it out, but you didn't include it in your instructions.
Oct 2, 2014
Very good for a summer or hot day. Last a while ,for one person. My grandmother has made this for me when I was a kid.