Classic Lemon Meringue Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 4 large egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add 3 tablespoons cold water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and lemon zest. Gradually stir in lemon juice just until combined. Pour into the crust.
- For meringue, in a saucepan, combine 2 tablespoons sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in cold water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is clear. Transfer to a bowl; cool.
- Beat egg whites and vanilla until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat in cornstarch mixture on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 444 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 282mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Aug 9, 2020
I followed this recipe exactly and I agree this is the one and only lemon pie recipe you will ever need.
Jul 1, 2020
This recipe was not my favourite. Way too much cornstarch and way too many steps. The lemon taste was muted by the cornstarch. I prefer a much tangier lemon filling. Will not make it again. Also, the cornstarch for the meringue should have been at the top of the recipe to allow for cooling. Instead I had everything ready to go and then had to wait for it to cool and as a result had to turn off my preheated oven to do that. Not a fan, sorry.
May 16, 2020
I didn’t change a thing, This was delicious!! Very tangy. (It didn’t set up well, but that may be because I was using new, unfamiliar equipment.)
Nov 17, 2019
No comment left
May 14, 2019
This is an AWESOME pie ! ! ! Very simple to make, everyone loved it ! ! ! This one is a keeper ! ! !
Nov 27, 2018
Loved the taste of the pie but thought it needed more filling any suggestions of making maybe 1 and a half the amount for filling and what the measurements would be?? My pie dish is deep.
Sep 25, 2018
Turned out absolutely fantastic on my first try! The family ate the whole pie in one meal!
Jul 24, 2017
My son loves lemon meringue pie and he really loved this recipe.
Jul 23, 2017
A bit too sweet for my tastes, and I would prefer less meringue and more filling, but those are my personal preferences. Gotvrave reviews at the picnic I attended.
Apr 15, 2017
I did not use the pastry crust included with this recipe so no comment on that. The filling was a bit heavy handed on the thickening agents so I added another 1/2 cup of lemon juice and a bit of lemon oil instead of zest. The resulting flavor was bright and lemony. The meringue was just right when prepared as directed.No moisture or weeping after several hours.