Classic Irish Soda Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, divided use
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375°. Whisk together first 5 ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk together 1 egg and buttermilk. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Stir in raisins.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 6-8 times. Shape into a 6-1/2-in. round loaf; place on a greased baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, make a shallow cross in top of loaf. Whisk remaining egg; brush over top.
- Bake until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 210 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 463mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 3, 2020
No comment left
May 11, 2020
What a great easy recipe. I added nuts and chopped dates and served with a butter, cream cheese and date spread.
Apr 1, 2020
I made this bread and used regular butter and 1 cup of buttermilk. I baked this bread in a round 9" greased and floured baking pan. This bread is moist and delicious-I sampled it after baking and shared the rest of the bread with my next-door neighbor on my floor.
Mar 19, 2020
Lovely Irish Soda Bread. Will be making this again.
Mar 13, 2020
I'm looking at the ingredients for this recipe. The recipe passed down from my Grandma (yes, Irish) does not call for brown sugar. And, we bake it in a pie pan. Oh, and if you put raisins in it, use the golden raisins. They bake better than the regular dark raisins!
Mar 12, 2020
No comment left
Dec 29, 2018
I found the bread's direction easy to follow. The bread came out beautiful and delicious.
May 1, 2018
I made this for the first time, and it is delicious! It is similar to a scone, not too sweet. I added a combination of raisins and dried cranberries. I did not put the egg wash on the top, yet it came out a beautiful golden color. Will definitely make again.
Apr 14, 2018
Very good. Blended dry ingredients and butter in food processor and transferred to mixing bowl. It came out as pretty as the picture and very easy. We must like it as this is the second time I have made it in two weeks!
Mar 12, 2018
Just in time for our St. Patrick's day meal! Very tasty. Will try it next time with some of the changes others suggested.